Raising Standards, One Break at a Time
So today I had sort of an off day, if you can call it that in true conscience. Being in the medical field, there’s sort of an imposter syndrome shadowing our lives. Every time we’re not studying, enjoying ourselves, or just relaxing, it feels like we might not be doing enough.
Although it was overwhelming at first, pushing us to study out of guilt and making us take on undue pressure all the time basically made our lives miserable by holding ourselves to unfair expectations (sounds stupid, right? Yeah, unfortunately, it’s very real).
We develop thick skin and learn to value our lives, our relaxation, and our hobbies just as much. I don’t think it makes us slackers. It recharges our batteries to later keep doing our best. So even though most of us don’t drown ourselves in academic books all the time, doing our best when needed floats our boats.
So it was a pretty cloudy day. I made myself a cup of my special hot chocolate (recipe for some other day π), was deciding on what to watch, and found myself drifting towards my all-time favourites.
And hence, I decided that for this post, I’m gonna reveal some of the fictional guys who have elevated my standards for guys. And if you guys haven’t checked out these romcom movies yet... do check them out. They’re just too good to sit out on.
1) Patrick Verona (10 Things I Hate About You)
Played by the great Heath Ledger, whom you guys know as the Joker, he starts off as a rebel who just takes up a bet for the bucks, but it turns into one of the most heartwarming love stories ever.
Let me share a secret with you guys: whenever you feel like love sucks, or that it isn’t real, give this one a watch. I believe your faith in it will reignite.
2) Kevin Doyle (27 Dresses)
Played by the charming James Marsden, who I recently came to know plays Cyclops in Marvel’s X-Men. The movie itself is very adorable. It’s about a woman who I feel is just too good for the world. She is disappointed by love, but also a firm believer in it, and the guy is a cynic. The way he sees her, accepts her as she is, and supports her when he knows she might need it is plain adorable.
I don’t wanna say too much coz the nerd in me can very easily write down four posts alone on how much I love this movie.
So if you feel like you are just there for everyone and when it’s your turn, it’s just you, check this out and start believing in our beautiful and noble Jane’s words:
“Someday...
God knows when...
But someday it will be my day.” π✨️π€π»
3) Charlie Wyman (Letters to Juliet)
Played by Christopher Egan, this guy starts off as an uptight, arrogant, and plain rude person, unfit to be our sweet heroine’s love interest, but their playful banter and shared goal help bring them closer.
This is a very underrated movie. Heck, I couldn’t even find adorable edits for the movie on Insta, but it’s adorable. If you love witty banter, love Taylor Swift, or just want a good romcom based on a book, please check this out. It had me giggling and smiling like an idiot, dreaming about my own Charlie Wyman, who, by the way, will be having some serious competition (once he does cross my path) based on how many fictional guys already have my heart.
Ah, this one is all about love, yearning, and witty banter. ππ
4) Augustus Tewksbury (Enola Holmes)
Played by the handsome Louis Partridge, though Enola Holmes lies more in the mystery/adventure genre than romcom territory, it doesn’t change the fact that these movies define the men written by women. The lord just gives off golden-retriever energy, and you can’t help but root for him and Enola. Even though romance is a little on the light side there, it doesn’t change the fact that the way Tewksbury adores Enola is just too wholesome. And with the third Enola Holmes movie out, I can’t help but gush over how awesome this pair is, just perfectly complementing each other.
5) Nicholas Devereaux (The Princess Diaries 2)
It would be a sin not to mention the enemies-to-lovers trope in this movie, but I know this is where opinions might differ. The movie girlies like me might root for Nicholas, while the book girlies, after reading the whole Princess Diaries series, know Michael is the endgame.
But having said that, I absolutely loved Chris Pine as Nicholas, and the wholesome moments made this movie an instant favourite.
Having shared my five all-time favourites, I would like to mention a close runner-up, maybe a little less known, but seriously, I loved this one a lot, so go check this out if you haven’t yet.
6) David Abbott (Just Like Heaven)
Played by Mark Ruffalo, also widely known for portraying Bruce Banner and the Big Guy in Marvel.
This movie I only picked out since I saw it was based on a book. You might have caught on by now: book-based movies are my kinda thing.
So the patience he shows, the way he just accepts her as a ghost (ooh, my mistake, I accidentally gave a spoiler, or did I? π), the risks he takes for her sake, and the way he yearns bring my faith back in fate with every rewatch.
So that’s it for this week, guys!
I have yet to share my opinions on a lot of movies. I know I have missed a lot of romcoms, but I figured I would start with my absolute favourites. So hold on, we’re just getting started.
I would love to hear your thoughts, your favourites, and any ideas about the next post are always welcome. π
See you on the next post with something new.
This is Star, shooting off. π

Comments
Post a Comment